Wain Group is one of the UK’s largest private development companies. We’re made up of Wain Homes, the housebuilder, and Wain Estates, the strategic land company. Wain Homes builds approximately 1,200 homes a year from its three regional offices in Warrington, Bristol, and Exeter. It has ambitions to increase this to 1,600 homes over the next five years. Wain Estates operates nationally from Warrington. It is currently promoting 3,200 acres across the country.
Since 1972 when Bill Ainscough founded William Ainscough developments, to 2022 when we reached our 50th Anniversary as Wain Group, our people have always been the most important element of our business.
Our Values and Culture are at our heart and centre on our most valued assets – our people and our customers. We ensure our people know it by putting both their wellbeing and their careers first every day. Everyone counts in our culture, and we are always looking for new ways and new people to share it with.
Reporting to the Land Director, as Land Manager for the Severn Valley region you will play a crucial role in identifying, evaluating, and securing suitable land opportunities for residential development. The role will be based in our office in Bradley Stoke, north of Bristol, and the Severn Valley operating area covers Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, and parts of Oxfordshire, Worcestershire and Warwickshire.
You will need to be commercial and competitive in bidding for land, and imaginative in identifying other opportunities, such as option agreements and joint ventures. Entrepreneurial and imaginative in your thinking, you'll need to be a proficient negotiator, and have the ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with landowners, local authorities, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Proactively identify and assess potential land opportunities for residential development.
- Conduct thorough feasibility studies and financial appraisals to evaluate the viability of potential land acquisitions.
- Collaborate with internal teams, including planning and construction, to assess the technical aspects of potential sites.
- Negotiate and secure land acquisitions in line with the company's strategic objectives.
- Work closely with legal and finance teams to ensure timely and smooth completion of land transactions.
- Manage relationships with landowners, agents, and other stakeholders to facilitate successful acquisitions.
- Conduct comprehensive due diligence on potential land acquisitions, including legal, environmental, and technical assessments.
- Work closely with external consultants and specialists to ensure a thorough understanding of the risks and opportunities associated with each site.
- Stay informed about market trends, competitor activities, and changes in planning policy.
- Provide regular reports and updates to senior management on market conditions and potential opportunities.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with landowners, local authorities, consultants, and other stakeholders.
- Represent the company in negotiations and discussions with external parties.
- Develop and manage budgets for land acquisition activities, ensuring cost-effective and efficient operations.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Experience and demonstrable track record in successful land acquisition, ideally including joint ventures, utilising a range of structures and proposals
- Bachelor's degree in Real Estate, Land Management, Business, or a related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Exceptional negotiation, communication, and relationship-building skills
- Sound understanding of planning and development processes.
- Ability to analyse financial data and conduct feasibility studies.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Knowledge of local markets and planning policies.
- Sound geographical knowledge of the operational area.
- Able to work on own initiative, with the drive to take ownership of projects.
- Articulate, clear and credible, and able to thrive under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to communicate with a wide range of people, engender rapport and trust, and develop and maintain key contacts.
- Exceptional negotiating and influencing skills; a confident and professional networker.
- An innovative thinker, with the drive to seek out and pursue potential development opportunities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Membership in relevant professional organisations is an asset.
- The ability to embrace and role model our company values – One Wain, Rise to the Challenge, Keep it Real, Everyone Counts, and Take Pride.
The benefit package for this role includes:
- Competitive Salary.
- Car allowance and option to join the Hybrid & Electric Salary Sacrifice Car Scheme (T&Cs apply).
- Annual Bonus Scheme.
- 24 days holiday (increasing by 1 day after 2 years of continuous service up to a maximum of 28 days).
- Private Medical Insurance.
- Life Assurance.
- Perks Employee Discount Scheme.
- Pension scheme.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Annual Volunteering Day.
If you are a results-oriented individual with a passion for land acquisition and a track record of successful negotiations, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of Wain Homes Severn Valley. Please submit your CV and a covering letter outlining your relevant experience to email@example.com by the closing date of Friday 23rd February 2024.
Wain Group is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Inclusion and Diversity are paramount to us here at Wain Group. All our applicants and colleagues are treated fairly and respectfully, regardless of any protected characteristic/s. If you require assistance with regards to reasonable adjustments during your application process, please do not hesitate to contact us - we are always happy to help.