Just as you’re settling into your new home, your new home is settling in too. Your NHBC 10-year warranty covers you against defects and your NHBC guide tells you what to expect from your new home and how to keep it secure.
NHBC guide to your new home
As you get to know your new home, you’ll notice certain things happening over the first few months. Like the drying out process which can cause minor cracks in the walls and condensation as the moisture evaporates. This is completely normal and there are things you can do to reduce the effect they have. This practical guide is here to help you look after your new home.
Your new home comes with a Wain Homes warranty that lasts for two years from the date you completed. So if you have a problem because of faulty workmanship or materials, you’re covered.
Things you’re covered for
- Boiler (we look after your boiler for two years providing it has been serviced after the first year).
- Leaks to plumbing fittings
- Electrical problems
- Leaking gutters
- Windows and doors (not glass)
- Appliances e.g. ovens and hobs are covered under the manufacturers’ 2 years warranty. Please contact them directly to report a fault.
Things you’re not covered for
- Any alterations to the original works within your home which you carry out yourself after legal completion. This includes, structural, cosmetic, water and electrical installations such as changing light fittings, sockets and switches
- Storm damage to any fences or roof tiling
- Blocked drains caused by inappropriate disposal of waste
- Any cosmetic scratches, chips or marks to surfaces, work tops, sanitaryware and glass that are not recorded on the key release form
- Problems caused through natural shrinkage, condensation or mould growth
- Boiler breakdown if not properly maintained or serviced and includes the pressure dropping
- Damage caused to fixtures and fittings through improper use and lack of maintenance
- Pest infestation
- Frozen pipes
10-year NHBC Buildmark warranty
You will hear directly from NHBC shortly after you reserve your new home. You should then receive your NHBC Buildmark warranty insurance certificate and policy booklet from your conveyancer at exchange and also at completion. Your policy booklet explains the cover provided, alongside your policy schedule which contains specific details for your home.
Manufacturers’ warranties for appliances
Every appliance in your new home comes with a manufacturer’s warranty and you’ll find all the details in your welcome folder. You must register your appliances to receive regular updates on product and safety information. If you have any issues with any of your appliances, please contact the manufacturer direct.